Featured Project: Cerritos College Utility Master Plan and Infrastructure Replacement
At the passage of their 50th anniversary, Cerritos College recognized their infrastructure was rapidly aging and that they needed to establish a master plan to address upgrades for the 120-acre campus. Based on the success of previously completed projects, they looked to S&K to assist them with developing the infrastructure portion of the master plan.
S&K was enlisted to develop a Utility Infrastructure Master Plan (UIMP) to upgrade all major utility systems. Existing buildings comprised a total of 789,000 sq. ft. and the facilities master plan called for an additional 219,000. The approved UIMP specified a new central plant along with a building enclosure, an underground chilled water piping system throughout the campus, and connection of over 1800 tons of existing load.
A pre-fabricated central plant was specified to realize time savings and most-efficiently utilize limited space. Consisting of three centrifugal chillers, the system operates with remarkable efficiency while still meeting load requirements. It also featured a Dolphin water treatment system that operates without chemicals leading to substantially reduced environmental impact and water consumption. The combination of efficient equipment selections, application of variable speed technology, and state of the art control technology delivers a package, including the building lighting and HVAC, which earned a “Best Practices Award” at the UC/CSU/CCC Sustainability Conference.
The estimated annual energy savings are 1161 KW in demand, 2,985,563 Kwh in savings, and 17,200 therms of natural gas. The estimated energy cost savings are $440,000 per year.
- College of the Desert – Utility Infrastructure Master Plan
- Citrus College – Performing Arts Central Plant
- El Camino College Utility Infrastructure Upgrade
- El Camino College Central Plant Upgrade and Recommissioning
- Compton College Utility Infrastructure Upgrade and New Central Plant
- UCLA 5KV/12KV Electrical Distribution System Upgrade
- El Camino College 12 KV Electrical Distribution System Conversion
- San Francisco City College $62M Utility Infrastructure Upgrade